Thursday, May 26, 2011

My First Rescue

     Yesterday I decided to rescue my first animal.  It all started with a sad story.  A family down on their luck, lost their job in the recession, being foreclosed on that day needed emergency rescue of their 2 Labrador Retrievers.  The dogs have been raised in the home and even sleep with their 3 year old daughter.  The devastated family must give them up. When it comes to feeding your family or feeding the dogs the choice is pretty clear. Especially when you are headed for a shelter....for humans.

     So with high hopes and thoughts of finding easy homes for these amazing dogs I take responsibility for their care and well being until loving homes are found.  After immediately finding someone interested in Duke, the one and a half year old yellow lab, I turn my focus to Gigi.  Gigi is a 5 year old beautiful light yellow female lab. She is spayed and microchipped.
     Gigi spent her first night at my house in bed with my children.  She woke me up to go outside....potty trained...a huge plus.  She didn't jump on any of my kids. She didn't chase my miniature dachshunds or the two cats.  She chased balls and walked perfectly on the leash with my daughter.  This was going to be easy! So I thought yesterday.
     Then with responsibility utmost in my mind. I took Gigi to the vet to be tested for heart worms. I really didn't want to give this girl to a family with unknown medical issues. Plus the family I got her from had financial problems so it was likely she had not received a preventive.  After the 8 minute test I had my devastating answer.
     Gigi is heart worm positive!  All the thoughts of an easy rescue flew out of my head. And the realization that heart worm treatment is costly sprang to the forefront of my mind.  How am I going to do this?  Where can I turn for help?
     I called a "real" rescue organization and received a tremendous amount of information.  Things are not hopeless!  Through the veterinarians that work with animal foster families I can get low cost ($400) heart worm treatment for Gigi.  Regular veterinary offices charge between $700-$1200, so a $400 option is low cost.  After the treatment Gigi will be healthy.  At this point the disease has not progressed to a point of catastrophic damage.
    This sweet baby girl can be saved!  We just need to raise $400 for her treatment. That doesn't feel insurmountable.  That feels doable!
     I am starting tonight.  I will blog about my first rescue....Gigi, a beautiful yellow lab with a huge heart that needs help getting rid of the worms.

No comments:

Post a Comment